After finishing the installation of the Subaru-Brat water pump on my H-Mod, SIAM-Fibersport, I was asked for the sketches I used to fabricate. So I went on a massive hunt on where I got these sketches and best I can figure was a 2007 Post in the now defunct Yahoo Groups H-Mod forum that Nat Sherrill, Marty Stein and others managed. Best I can tell is that Marty and Franklin Rudolph were involved in posting these sketches. If I learn otherwise I will correct.
So along with pictures of my installation on here are the sketches I used.
It has been a few years since real work on the SIAM was done. The Elden’s keep the shop busy but with this pandemic and waiting for some racing parts I decided the catch up some SIAM work.
First I rebuilt the the Crosley Steering box with new bushings and seals from Service Motors, https://www.servicemotors.net/. Then I tackled the fun job of the Crosley front axle King Pins. The King pins required some tooling to allow reaming to fit and maintaining the alignment of the top and bottom. So I built this reamer tool.
Finally, I reinstalled the Crosley front axle. The SIAM is right hand drive and as such the front axle is turned around 180 degrees. That in itself sees to be okay. But I found that the front friction lever shocks were binding up the front leaf springs. So I built a new mounting system allowing the lever shock to move without binding. Wish I had taken a picture of the original but here is the new.
Another thing found was that castor seems off with reversing the axle. Will update this later as the work isn’t done. The following picture shows a castor adjustor on the Crosley Fibersport waiting for restoration here. What is weird it is on the top of the leaf spring and I’m not convinced that it actually adjusts. I would think it belongs on the bottom of the leaf spring. Once the wheels are back on the ground I can confirm all of this.